About the MFR


The Metaline Falls Railroad (MFR) is a proto-freelanced model railroad based on the Pend Oreille Valley Railroad located in northern Idaho and north eastern Washington State. For the very latest on the layout, please visit my YouTube channel and follow along with my Instagram account and Facebook Group.

Monday, March 10, 2014

New Horsepower on the MFTR

As production began to ramp up at Lehigh Cement, the MFTR found themselves in need of additional pulling power to handle the increase in rail traffic. That power has arrived on the railroad as a lovely blue and white GP38-2 leased from EMD leasing.

I splurged last week and bought an Athearn Genesis GP38-2 installed with Tsunami Sound for my little layout.  I don't normally spend this kind of money, but I've been dying for an engine in this paint scheme for several years now... so there she is.

As far as I can tell, real EMDX #782 is hard at work in Dallas right now, however in my imaginary world EMDX simply leased it to the MFTR instead.


My two engines look so great lashed together I decided to create a short video to show them off and also to give you an idea of how I operate my model railroad.

 

UPDATE: Andrew from the Model Railroad Hobbyist forums shared this photo of #782's sister unit #778 being utilized on the Kettle Falls branch which just happens to be located right next door in the valley just beyond those mountain peaks I painted on my backdrop. Good to know I got at least one detail right on my railroad!


5 comments:

  1. That's a nice looking pair of locomotives, and the layout is really coming along. I enjoyed the video, too. Thanks for sharing it!
    - Trevor @ The Model Railway Show

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Matt. Looking forward more progress on the layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Sweet looking and sounding engine! In your last photo, where was that taken? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm told it was taken on the Kettle Falls to Nelson Branch. The exact location, I do not know. Figured it might be of interest to you. :)

      Delete
  4. Great! Thanks! For your record, I think it was taken in the town of Fruitvale. I could be wrong...

    ReplyDelete