About the MFR


The Metaline Falls Railroad (MFR) is a proto-freelanced model railroad based on the Pend Oreille Valley Railroad located in northern Idaho and north eastern Washington State. For the very latest on the layout, please visit my YouTube channel and follow along with my Instagram account and Facebook Group.

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Construction Continues

As my Instagram and YouTube activity goes up I've been ignoring this blog a bit. What I am not ignoring however is my layout room. Construction continues even as the weather gets nicer and the great outdoors calls to me. I'm going a bit slow, a bit deliberately, but I am happy with the progress I've made thus far.

I find there is a certain degree of magic in this point of the model railroad construction process. It is the beginning of a long journey. It is no longer just an idea in my mind. It is a sketch, a skeleton about to come to life.







2 comments:

  1. A simplistic question. I see your narrow shelves have no support brackets. I guess they are sturdy enough to support themselves. How wide is this narrow shelf? I'm curious, having to build 12"-15" shelves for my home layout and trying to figure out an efficient way without overdoing it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they do. They are grey metal brackets and they are a bit hard to see as they blend into the walls. You can see a few of them in the newer pictures. I'm going to have a couple videos on benchwork construction up in the next couple of weeks that will go over it. Those brackets are totally awesome, but at around 6 bucks a piece, they are a bit on the expensive side.

      They also don't make them large enough to support very wide shelves which is why I built some of the larger brackets from wood. (which would also work on smaller shelves if you wanted to save money.

      Delete