About the MFR


The Metaline Falls Railroad (MFR) is a proto-freelanced model railroad based on the Pend Oreille Valley Railroad located in northern Idaho and north eastern Washington State. For the very latest on the layout, please visit my YouTube channel and follow along with my Instagram account and Facebook Group.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Now It's Getting Fun!


I'm taking a page from Marty McGuirk's playbook and painting the lower half of my walls the same color that my fascia will be on my layout.  I think this will look pretty clean and should frame my shelf-style layout nicely. Deciding on a color has been a tricky (yet fun) process. I think I've decided I want to go with a darker color that will compliment the scenery (which will be very similar in color to that of my old layout) but do I go with a green or a brown color? Perhaps something more neutral?

I've also been struggling with that all important consideration of layout height. My old layout was at about 51 inches which was great for viewing but slightly awkward for reaching cars and switches towards the back of the layout. Lowering my new layout an inch or so would go a long way to making operations more comfortable, but I'd have to bend that much lower to view the cars at track level. Should I favor railfanning or operations with my railroad height?

Decisions, decisions.

All said, I'm glad to finally be in a position to consider these things for my layout. Now it's getting fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment