About the MFR


The Metaline Falls Railroad (MFR) is a proto-freelanced model railroad based on the Pend Oreille Valley Railroad located in northern Idaho and north eastern Washington State. For the very latest on the layout, please visit my YouTube channel and follow along with my Instagram account and Facebook Group.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Snow Shed

I'm back and I have something new to share finally! I've decided to scenic the hole in the right side of the layout with a snow shed instead of building the mountain side up more and placing a tunnel there. I've chosen this route for two major reasons.

First, I am attempting a faithfull (though admittedly compressed) version of the real box canyon bridge location and although there are a number of tunnels located on the real-world line, none of them are close enough to the Box Canyon scene to warrant inclusion. However, looking at the geography of the area, I could imagine how a snowshed might be useful.

Secondly, when was the last time you've seen a snow shed on a model railroad? They are out there and they are always very well modeled, but seeing one is a rare treat.

So, I've started things off by mocking up a cardboard version of the snow shed so I can get an idea for the size and shape it should be.


There are a HUGE variety of snow sheds out there.  Each one seems to have been custom engineered for that specific location. This makes choosing which way to go with my own snowshed has been very difficult. Having mocked this one up, I may decide to go with a squared off roof line instead. More like something found in some of these images.





Have any thoughts or suggestions?  Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. Have you checked out the kit from Sidetrack Laser?
    http://sidetracklaser.com/Trackside.htm

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg! I have seen it, but it won't fit my needs very well seeing as how it's gotta butt up against the backdrop and have an enclosed interior to hide the fact that the track is disappearing into a closet. Thanks for the link though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Far superior to the tunnel portal you had placed there before. Good call Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back. Indeed, the snow shed approach is far more interesting and doesn't make the scene toyish and cluttered. I think your cardboard mockup definitely prooves that! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete