About the MFR


The Metaline Falls Railroad (MFR) is a proto-freelanced model railroad based on the Pend Oreille Valley Railroad located in northern Idaho and north eastern Washington State. For the very latest on the layout, please visit my YouTube channel and follow along with my Instagram account and Facebook Group.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Need Some Help Fixing Rolled Rail

I've got a short, 2 inch section of rail on one of my Walthers/Shinohara turnouts where the rail has rolled towards the inside a bit which causes regular derails. (see picture)  I'm not sure what has caused it. Maybe temp change?

Anyway, its location has me nervous about how to go about fixing it.  Any advice would be helpful!


UPDATE!  I've been playing with that turnout for a while now and it is just not fixable I think.  Looks like I am going to have to replace it.  Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. If it is temperature related, then the material should want to return to normal if provided with space. try cutting a gap at the rail joiner for the turnout.

    If it is permanently rolled over (as if it had been struck), probably the best bet is twist it back with pliers -- use flat ones without ridges (grips?) to avoid marking the rail, and a second set where the rail is still upright as a countering force to avoid ripping it off the ties.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I cut an expansion joint and bent the rail back in place. Seems to have done the job for now... We will see in the long term. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete